Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sweet goodness

Several years ago I had a subscription service to Easy Everyday Cooking, a service that mailed recipe cards to subscribers every few weeks. After a few months I cancelled the service, but I had already built up quite a collection.

Every once in awhile I get in the mood to flip through the various categories, 19 in all, including from "Snacks and Appetizers," "Soups and Stews," "Chicken from the Oven," "Beef from the Stove," "Pasta" and "Cookies for all Occasions."

This weekend the mood striked and I picked "Crumb-Topped Peach Pie" from "Pies, Cakes and Tarts" and "Thumbprint Cookies" from "Cookies for all Occasions."

I made the pie from six juicy peaches my dad bought from a local produce stand. He left them for Chris and I when he and my mom visited last weekend. I liked making this recipe because I didn't need to make or buy pie dough and it was a quick and easy way to use up fresh fruit.


The flavors were perfect. The use of almond extract complemented the peaches. The recipe also calls for brown sugar instead of regular granulated sugar in the crumb topping. It was an interesting and delicious change.

The filling, however, was a little runny. I don't know if I used too many peaches or not enough cornstarch. But, overall, the pie was wonderful, especially with ice cream.


The cookies were by far my favorite. I used real butter and almond extract and vanilla flavoring. Mmmmmmm, I was in dessert heaven!

Although the recipe called for raspberry preserves for the filling, I used a blackberry jelly a local woman gave Chris and I and blackberry jam that my grandmother gave us. Nothing like homemade jellies and jams. Much better than those store bought fruits loaded with sugar!

I can't wait to eat those cookies with a new hot mug of tea.

0 comments:

Post a Comment