Friday, January 8, 2010

Review of final 2009 crafting

Here is a quick review of the final projects I hammered out in the final few months of 2009.

For me, there was the A-line skirt that laid around for months. I finally finished it when there was snow on the ground, way to cold to wear it until summer 2010 rolls around.

I struggled over how to sew on some fabric to make the back part of the skirt as wide as it needed to be. I finally cut out some fabric and just sewed a simple seam. I can tell where the additional fabric is, but the pattern is busy so it shouldn't matter much.

Since this was a remnant given to me by my grandmother, I shouldn't have been too worried if I messed up or if someone noticed where I added on the additional fabric. But I did. So I kept putting of completing this relatively easy pattern.

Now I don't know why it took my so long. This is made from Simplicity 2906.


I also made socks for myself from "I can't believe I'm knitting Socks," By Cindy Guggemos. I've spoken of this before and I love it. This pattern is the eyelet chevron.


It's a difficult pattern, but I liked it so much, I made my mom a pair for Christmas. And I plan to make my sister a pair too. Hers will be made in variegated yarn in beige, blue and brown.


I also made Mom placemats out of quilting fabric and a wide piece of double bias tape.

Since Mom, Dad and my younger sister and brother went to Hawaii a few years ago and really enjoyed the vacation, I thought I'd try to capture that. I went in search of a pattern with palm trees. But instead I found this and fell in love with it.


It depicts all things Hawaiian, from the islands and their names, to hibiscus flowers and ukuleles.

I also made some of Chris' family members how fiber treats.

For Anita, Chris' sister-in-law, I made her a sleeveless hoodie.


The pattern is from "Crocheted Sweaters: Simple Stitches, Great Designs," by Susan Huxley. I actually received that book from Anita and Richard, Chris' brother, last year for Christmas. I thought it fitting to make a gift from it. :)

I made a size medium and it fit Anita pretty well. It was a little snug, but that's what she liked about it. It wasn't big and boxy as some crocheted sweaters tend to be. I also made the shirt longer than the pattern called for because it seemed to be pretty short.

For Chris' dad I brushed up on my embroidery and picked out three designs to stitch onto handkerchiefs — a "B," a snowflake and a mortar and pestle, since he's a retired pharmacist.


I'm also finishing up a wool shawl for my mother-in-law. I didn't get it or my sister's socks finished in time for the holidays. But I'll get their presents to them as soon as possible. They know they're coming.

I also baked four zucchini, two sweet potato and two lemon poppy seed breads for
Christmas and gave them away with homemade peach honey. I've heard rave reviews all since Christmas. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment