Friday, January 22, 2010

Table solutions

In another post, I told you about how steam and heat from a recent batch of bread ruined our antique table. Yes, I'm still not over that. Still pretty upset about it.

So upset in fact, I baked a cake (which I set on the counter to cool, not the table) and placed it and the cake pan on the table over the offensive spot so I wouldn't have to see it every time I walked by.
I'm in search of another way to fix the damage rather than going through the whole process of sanding and refinishing the whole table leaf. Besides being too time consuming, I'm worried the color, after refinishing, will not match the rest of the table or two other leaves.

While visiting with my grandparents this week, Nannie gave me an insert from one of her most recent "Taste of Home" magazines. The insert listed a variety of tips for home remedies, such as removing candle wax from carpet.

One of those tips happen to be about using a pecan to restain table scratches, etc. Supposedly the oil from the pecan would naturally dye the wood.

I figured I had nothing to lose so I thought I'd give it a try.

As you can see, the spot isn't quite as . . . bright . . . as it once was. But it's still there.

So, next up . . . the old trusty Old English polish.

But, unfortunately, I only have polish for lighter stained woods. So that didn't work either.

If anyone has some suggestions or ideas, please share! Or any round table clothe to throw over the table would be appreciated too.

1 comment:

  1. Adorable post! I enjoyed it. Table looks good having delicious cake. Makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete