I'm in need of quick sewing projects. I'm drawn to projects that are detailed and, therefore, take a long time for me to make. Which is usually fine, because I love the projects once I'm finished. Usually. These shorts, however, have not been fun. So, it's time for a break.
I was happy to learn how to do back pockets and underlaps, but it just took a long time to figure out what needed to be done. And I'm not sure I did them completely right.
In the end, I'm sort of proud how they came out, especially the back pockets.
I wished BurdaStyle had larger, more detailed pics on the page. I found it hard to figure out what I was supposed to do and that may have helped. (I do like the idea of printing at home though.)
If you've never sewn a stitch before, I wouldn't recommend any detailed projects from BurdaStyle quite yet. (Sorry, guys!)
I know they say to start out simple and work your way up, but I believe that if there's something you want to make, start with that. You'll enjoy it more than if you sewed something you won't use.
I haven't had any trouble using McCall's or Simplicity patterns, no matter if it was for jeans or jackets, but they tend to use a lot of pics . . . like a pic for every, single step. And that works better for me. The pattern instructions with pictures show me visually what to do. Sometimes I need that as well as words.
So, BurdaStyle patterns may just take me longer to figure them out. (Though if I went with simpler patterns I probably won't have as much trouble and should be able to whiz through them.)
Besides trying to figure out instructions for new techniques, I hit quite a few snags on techniques I've done before and, usually, feel quite confident about.
For instance, the hem. Oh, Lord, why can I not hem? If anyone can tell by the pics below what I'm doing wrong, please help!
I do sew an angle at the bottom the hem, which is supposed to take up the extra material and prevent puckering, but for the life of me, I couldn't get it to work with this project. I don't know if it's the material, but I suspect it's operator error and I need help learning a new way to keep hems from puckering.
I also had trouble with the belt loops. I couldn't get the fabric to turn inside out. I think it was because the material is so stiff. So the loops show serger thread and look pretty tacky. But, hopefully, Chris' shirt will cover those and it'll be all right.
I also did pretty awful with the zipper. I've never sewn a zipper with an underlap and I don't think it is supposed to make that much of a difference, but it did. I usually can't keep the stitching straight and that was to be expected here, but all these stray stitches look pretty bad.
Instead of looking for a nice contrasting thread, from now on I'm going to use thread that'll blend in. Yeah, I like contrasting, top stitching, but jeez, I do not sew well enough to want to show the stitching off!
Anyway, I hope the hubby will like these shorts. I think they turned out okay, though they're far from perfect or even okay. At least he's got something to cover his bum. :)
Quick Tip: Shortening a Zipper
1 hour ago