Thursday, June 9, 2011

Much improved skirt

I spent the largest part of this week in N.C. since I had something to do down there every single morning -- meetings, a doctor visit, you name it.

Since I was going to be there for a while and I had a lot of mending to do, I grabbed a bag and stuffed it with a tank-top, shorts and a couple of skirts that needed fixing.

Thanks to Mom, I was able to complete every single one of those projects! Mostly because she fixed the hole in the collar of the tank top, placed a dart in the shorts so they fit better and forbid me to touch one of the skirts because I managed to mess up the waist band.

The skirt is made from a stretchy knit and, over the course of a day, stretches out so much that I have to tug it up very few minutes. So I needed to take it in. Originally, Mom placed two darts in the back and that took care of that problem.

I also didn't like the rolled hem, so I tried to hem it up. To get the material to lay flat, I knew the side seams needed to be tapered outward. So I did that. Then I wanted to cut off the excess side seam material. Doing that I some how cut off the bias tape binding around the waist, leaving a gaping hole.

Mom rescued the skirt. She took out the darts and sewed up the side. Then she set to work hemming the bottom ... refusing to let me get near the "poor ol' skirt.

While she did that, I got to work on some other projects. The second skirt didn't fit all that well so I left it for my sister-in-law and the last skirt I worked on myself.

The skirt was long and beautiful, but I don't look good in long skirts. It's one Nannie gave to me a few winters ago and I've worn it mostly during the fall and winter with brown boots.



So I decided to cut it off and add lace to the bottom.




I went to put the skirt on last night to take a picture and the zipper broke. Mom got home and found me trying it get the zipper back together. "What did you do now?" she asked. "Why do you go to fix the hem and wind up messing up the waistband?" she teased me.

So we made a run to Hobby Lobby for a brown, 7-inch zipper and this is the result.


I love it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment