Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Squash ideas

So just about this time of year, if you have a garden or have family/friends who do, you're probably inundated with summer squash.

Usually I feel pretty limited in what I can do with all the crooknecks, butterstick and zucchini squashes. I like them sauteed with some butter or olive oil, fried or served as fritters. And, of course, there's the zucchini bread I usually make at least twice during the summer and frittatas that make a good breakfast or dinner feast.

There's also creamed squash or casseroles, though I'm not a big fan of either of those.

I've also created a couple of recipes and posted 'em on this blog. The Late Summer Veggie Soup is good, but the warm Squash-Chard Salad is my favorite! Kale would go well in that recipe, too.

This past week, on a whim, I threw some fresh crookneck squash onto a salad. Wonderful.

I also cooked some squash with garlic and a green onion in an egg scramble and made a breakfast burrito. Awesome!

So, I encourage you to figure out different ways to eat up all that squash besides cutting it up and freezing it for goodness knows how long. It's a good way to get some healthy veggies into your diet!

0 comments:

Post a Comment